Monday, May 24, 2010

Black Ghost Knifefish lighting?

My BGK doesn't like to come out when the 24" Flourescant Light Bulb is on, only off. When it's on, he goes into my fake coral. I have a homemade Ghost House out for him. He does come out when the light is on at night, though. Any way I can encourage him to come out more often?
Answers:
Either find a light with less visible output or give some extra cover. A gohst house IS your best bet in most tanks, but giving more shade and places to hide generally makes fish feel more comfortable and prone to comming out in the open.
burn the coral, or take it out
I use to have a black ghost and I spent 7 dollars and bought him a "glass ghost house" its a clear plastic tube he stayed in during the day. When I first got mine he didnt come out during the day he often came out at night. Is your tank in direct sunlight maybe he doesnt like the light. They need places to hide they are reclusive fish. If youve ever read up on them and I did prior to purchase they are mainly a nocturunal fish.