Monday, May 24, 2010

Bettas+others?

would a betta fish get picked on if it was in a tank with a couple small sharks,algae eater,small catfish,small tiger barbs,dwarf guaramis?
Answers:
I'd be careful with dwarf gouramis, honestly. Grouramis are the bettas cousin, and they act alike, and will fight over tank space too... The male/female conflict may be a problem, so know what you have first.
Barbs are NOT comunity fish. They are fin nippers. Not a good choice, around a betta, who's got long fins.
I have an albino rainbow shark in my tank, with 4 betta girls. He never bothers my girls at all. Nor did the regular rainbow shark I had before him. (I just messed up, and put two sharks in the same tank, so I gave my rainbow to my mom, and kept the albino.)
Everyone else should be okay, so long as the tank is big enough.
;o)
yes
Here is a site with compatibility chart
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?...

Hope that helps
Good luck

EB
yes
Very likely. The barbs are semi-aggressive and will nip fins, and bettas and gouramis don't always get along together. The sharks (if red tail or rainbow) may also be too aggressive for him. You don't say what type of catfish you have, but bettas can generally get along with these, other than Chinese algae eaters. The catfish, if it's a cory, is fine. Other types may eat a betta or other small fish when they're full sized/
It all depends on the fish involved and the size of your tank. With that many fish, I am hoping you have a 20+ gallon tank at least.
Bettas typically can get along with most fish as long as those fish don't have pretty fins. I have 2 Cory cats in with my Betta. He enjoys chasing them around so I made sure I have plenty of ground cover for them to hide in.
Yes.
I foresee the betta being alright with the algae eater and the small catfish (are these corys you speak of?) Each fish would most likely mind its own business.
However, tiger barbs and gouramis are both aggressive fish and I do think some trouble could crop up there. Sharks are of course out of the question.