Saturday, May 22, 2010

Betta biting itself?

I have this new betta I got from walmart. It seems pretty happy. Its got bubbles all over the waters surface. One day I've looked at his biggest fin ( the one at the back ) and it looked like it was missing little parts. It also had a small red outline that looked a lot like blood. Is he bititng his fins because of malnutriteon? ( I feed him 4-5 pellets every day). Whats up?
Answers:
This sounds more like you're dealing with fin rot, or you have high ammonia in the water. I'd start by doing a water change to improve the water conditions to see if this helps. Do 25-50% if it's in a tank larger than 2.5 gallons or has a filter, 100% for anything smaller than 2.5 without a filter.
If this doesn't clear up the rot, you may need to use a medication for fin rot.
Some bettas do this, they aren't sure why though. Some think it may be genetic. It could also be a disease called fin rot. You can get medicine for it from the pet store.