Monday, May 24, 2010

Betta question?!?

my betta fish just spawned like a week ago but i wasent prepared so none of the fry survived . i have another female but im wondering if i can put the male with the other female .
is he ready to mate?
Answers:
How do you plan on preparing yourself this time?
I recently had a pair spawn as well (not thinking they would) but my fry are fine?
Either way - if you have another female laden with eggs my suggestion would be to give the male at least 2 weeks off. Bubble nest building and maintenance (along with any care he took of the eggs/fry for the time he had them) is extremely energy intensive and if you attempted to spawn him again so soon he could quite possibly die.
Most males will hardly eat (if at all) while caring for the eggs and fry so he needs this time afterwards to recuperate and build his strength up again.
Also - be careful to be quick to discard eggs and fry..
I know my fry seemed to live out the first few days of their life on the bottom of my spawning tank.. but he was pretty relentless about returning constantly to pick them up and blow them back to the surface.. now I have what seems like 60 free swimming little fishies :)
you need to properly condition your other female for at least 2 weeks before trying to spawn her
here is a great link
http://fishlesscycling.com/forum/index.p...

Hope that helps
Good luck

EB