Saturday, May 22, 2010

Aw...My Balloon Molly and Betta died. :[[?

I just bought the molly like 2 1/2 months ago, and had the betta for almost a year.

Tell stories of your fish plz! I'd LOVE to hear! :D funny, sad, weird, cool, etc.
Answers:
My male Betta, Mr Misfit, died the other day. He had seemed to be lonely and a woman sold me two females to keep him company. She claimed that they could all live together. Mistake #1.
It was young females and as they grew older one of them seemed to be more dominant than the other. I figured that it was a good thing since Mr Misfit seemed to need a feisty woman. Mistake #2.
Mr Misfit ended up getting really badly beaten. I put him in a tank of his own so that he could heal, but I didn't have time to monitor him properly. Mistake #3.
He died. And now to the point of the story... It turns out that the dominant female isn't a female, it's a short finned male. Short finned males look very much like females when they are young, and it took me hours of searching online and asking here on Y!A to figure out that she was really a he.
I've put my (semi) new male in a tank of his own now and he is already producing bubbles, now I'm thinking about putting him and the female together to see if they spawn. Breeding the gender confused Betta might not be profitable but I think it could be fun, and it would ease the pain of losing Mr Misfit.
okay.. well one time my goldfish was trying so hard to swim against the filters current! it was such a funny site!
i hope this helps!!
My betta Dagon died today. He was my first. He was the one who really got me interested in bettas. When I got him, I didn't know anything about betta fish so I started researching online. The more I read, the more I fell in love with these beautiful creatures. Before you know it I was ordering bettas from aquabid to breed. Now, I have owned close to a hundred, if not more bettas and have bred a few times, too. I run my own betta website and am, pretty much, completely and hopelessly obsessed with bettas! And it is all thanks to a pretty little blue/red veiltail named, Dagon. RIP Dagon, you will be missed terribly :(
One morning I awoke at 8:00 am and the first thing I did was shift my eyes to the fish tank. I saw something quickly dart across my tank and my betta ate it. As you could imagine this early in the morning right after I arose, I was freaked out. What the heck, my mind spun as I jumped to my feet and ran over to my fish tank. TONS of baby mollies were swimming around while my other fish tried to eat them, my betta being the most dangerous because he was determined and was sneaky. (he could land on a rock and stay there for minutes until a baby got close enough and he'd snap at it). Well then I scooped them all up (16) and placed them in a plastic breeder and now they are still growing in a 10 gallon tank by themselves. One is beginning to show its lyretail.
Another molly story: My dalmation sailfin male finally bred to my gold dust lyretail female (both passed away) and she had babies. Sadly only two survived the ordeal and they were the most precious males I have ever had. Their coloring was striking! A deep orange with dark black spots and golddust. They had a lyretail and a sailfin. I was so proud of my newly grown fry. Then it was too cold to keep the goldfish outside in the pond and we didn't have an open tank at the time so what do you know, he went in with my male mollies and my betta. Fish, one of the adolescent fry died...I was so mad! I found his half eaten, broken body on the floor of the tank...he was so healthy the day before. I thought it was my betta so I condemmed him to a life in a bowl. Then the biggest adolescent molly was swimming and then I come in with him in my gold fishes mouth, the big sucker swallowing him, eating him, then spitting out some flesh, then eating that. Boy was I steamed! I was sad I blammed my betta and let him back into my tank and that goldfish went instead!
Also one of the first mollies we had were black velvets. So one of the females had babies and only one survived and he was my sisters fish. His name was dash because he was really fast, arrowdynamic, and small (never grew full size). Well Dash was trouble. He attacked every fish in the tank to a point of ick. Also, his eyes were red and gold...they changed color with light. Finally my sister let me iscolate him and he was still as furious when I let him out as before. So he harassed all my fish until he died (thank goodness) but my sister was so sad.
That is all I can think of now.I might write more if I think of any!
my fish was looking like he was gonna die he was kind floating but still moving. so my dad started banging on the side of the bowl, I told him not to and to just let him die in peace but my dad kept banging until finally my fish coughed up something it was large and round, we all thought it was his heart but it couldnt have been because he was back to normal and simming around the bowl happily, so my mom took the round thing out and it wasa piece of food, it had expanded in him or something,he is an old beta so I guess his body cant handle the hard food anymore cause now we just feed him baby beta food and he's happy as ever :) cheer up