Monday, May 24, 2010

Betta fish?

I just bought a Betta and have a question about feeding while I'm away. I won't be away for long. I plan to leave about lunch time on Friday, and will be back on Sunday by supper time. Should I worry about not having anyone around to feed the fish on Saturday? My aquarium has a lid on it since I'm told male Bettas can jump, and I won't be able to put an automatic feeder in there.
Answers:
Don't worry. Bettas (and most fish, actually) can go up to a week without food, completely unharmed. He will be fine if you leave him for the weekend.
Don't feed extra before you leave - eating too large an amount of food at one go can cause bloating and other digestive problems. Just feed his regular amount, and then leave him without for two days. I assure you he will not be harmed in any way by this.
Automatic feeders usually don't work, and can end up creating a big mess in your tank.
Your betta will be totally fine without a day's feeding.
A betta can go with no food after a nice proper meal for around 4-6 days so he should be fine so just feed him a good meal right before you leave.
Most any fish can survive a week or more without food if given proper care otherwise, so a weekend isn't a big deal. Just feed him as you normally would before you leave, then feed him soon after you get back. Don't try to give him "extra" to make up for the missed meals, or use a vacation feeder - these will only foul your water so you need to do a tank cleaning as well!
Well, first of all, remove the lid and use a wire top.
The fish should be fine for that period of time. Overfeeding fish is worse for the fish.
Clean the bowl every 2-3 days- but just rinse gravel a bit in cold water 'cause there's organisms in it that are good for the fish, they build up over time.
Water has to be same temp. when changed. Use chlorine drops every water change- water filters remove sediment, not chemicals.
Hope that helps.
Beta's are pretty tough fish. I've seen them recover after fighting (and getting pretty banged up). I've seen one survive after being nearly frozen solid. I'm no expert, and I certainly don't like to think of animals starving, but if you have no alternative, I bet he'll live.
Your betta will be fine. Just be sure to feed him right before you leave and as soon as you get back. When I went home from college on the weekends, I left my betta in the dorm and he didn't get fed on Saturday. Few years later, and he's still alive and well. Have a good trip!
i have heard of bettas who have gone 3 weeks without feeding and lived and i only feed mine every other day anyway
More fish are killed by too much food than too little. Just do a water change and your fish will be fine.(Clean water is always more important than food.)
Most fish can go without food for a week. Your betta will be fine without food on Saturday.
~ZTM
sounds like you got at least a tank for your betta ;-)
Don't worry, your betta will be absolutely fine without food for a day or 2, they can actually go witout food for over 2 weeks, but it's not recommended
But please stay away from feeders, they will only pollute your tank

Hope that helps
Good luck

W