Saturday, May 22, 2010

Arowana questions?

how long does an arowana live?
would i be able to put an arowana with a peacock bass?
(arowana and bass 3inches)
should i get 1 arowan and 1 peacock bass?
or..2 arowanas?
already have the tank for them.
Answers:
I'd agree with SG here and needs to be said, TANK kept Arowana's expect about 15 years out of them. Wild ones will clearly live much longer.
I believe you asked this about a week ago Chris when you were asking about cichild combinations as well, and you reported to us you already have them togeather. So I don't see how I'd say no. Personally I think it's not a good combination, but if they are not fighting so far that's a good sign. I have three in a 180 gallon tank so far, no fights, but I mix up the diets well, I have ping pong balls floating on the top to keep them looking up, I change the water in the tank twice a week, and make sure the temps stay between 78-80 constant. I find this working very well, no fights or tail nipping and I have 18 Protemelas Stevani's, 4 Mbuna, 4 yellow Labs, assorted cats' 2 red fin blue body botia's in there with them and three nice plecos. NO DEATHS.
In terms of your stocking, this is yet the third article published on the internet I've found, saying if you group them, you should group them in at least five or six to reduce aggression.
http://aquariumlore.blogspot.com/2006/04...

JV
Arowans can live for 25 years plus if you really take care of them and not feed it feeder fish, if you do happen to feed it feeders kill them first so that they float instead of making him have to look downwards causing drop eye.
you will need a massive tank for 2 arowanas maybe in the 250g+
bass also get huge, i would recommend skipping the bass and just getting 1 arowana because if you get 2 one will out compete the other and might kill it.
In captivity it's 15 to about 25 years old, it's possible they live much longer in the wild.
Yes, but the peacock bass should be slightly smaller compared to the arowana when they are introduce to each other.
If you keeping asian arowana I recommend you to keep it alone as you wouldn't want to take the risk of it being attack. But if you are keeping silver or any of the Australian Aro, you can try.
You'll have better result with 1 Aro and 1 Peacock bass compare to 2 Aro (esp. the Asian or Australian).
You should have a tank that is at least 4 feet long if you intend to start with arowana and tankmates.
.
There are several species of arowanas but I'm going to assume you mean the silver arowana from South America.
Under ideal conditions, and this means having a very large aquarium (no less than 150 gallons) you could expect this fish to live for 15 years or more. Remember that arowanas grow very quickly and can attain lengths over 30 inches! Unless you are experienced at keeping tank busters such as this I would not buy one. Another thing to keep in mind is that they can really jump, so keep a very tight fitting lid. Peacock bass is another tank buster that frankly usually does not fair well in the aquarium. Their temperment could probably go with an arowana but I would suggest something less aggressive and easier to keep.