Monday, May 24, 2010

Bio-Wheel Filter Questions?

Hi there,
I was just wanting to know what would be a good bio-wheel filter for a 55-Gallon aquarium? I am planning on having a moderatly planted aquarium with 2-3 in. of substrate, rocks and d-wood, and small community fish (tropical). Would it be okay to put 2 smaller bio-wheels on each end of the aquarium or will that cause to much turbulence thus releasing all of my CO2? Also, has anyone ever tried putting some of those bio-balls in the back of a bio-wheel filter? Just wondering if it would even work.
Giving me name brands would be appreciated!
I know I've been asking alot of questions lately but no, I am not a novice that will be spending $400 on something I'll stick with for a year...lol! I have always had aquariums...right now I have three 10-G, two 20-G, and a 29-G. I just wanna make sure I do my 55 right. The others were all trial and error.
Answers:
Hi, Yes that will work fine. I did the same thing in a 50 Gal. and Plants grew Fish Multiplied and had cover for hatches..%26#92;
as for Bio Balls, I never used them...
I Use Marineland Brands Completely! best Choice you can make Also use underwater heater, as the Turbulence is faster.
A good thing to remember when starting any tank is to let it run completely set up, excluding fishes, for 24-48 hrs, check the pH and temp, and make adjustments.
Add Chems, and then add each species of fish separately, and over time use the Bacterial Vac it is a tube that you use without any motor I can explain this more if you need.
I use the vac weekly but only on the settings IE plants Rocks Shells, etc..
Best Wishes on your Fishes and I think you will enjoy it more, if you will use your 20 Gal and hatchery tanks to proliferate your New Tank, and always ask your pet Store about the Community acceptance of different species.. Go Wild, Have fun...Fish are Cool
I would reconsider the bio wheel filter and get the Aquaclear 110 instead. The sponge is reusable, you can put about 10x more carbon into them, they come with bio-rocks, and you can adjust the flow to keep it from sucking up all the food. The Aquaclear 110 also flows more water than any Marineland HOTB filter too.
http://www.thereefshop.com.au/images/aqu...
I would go with a marine-land bio-wheel loaded with matrix. Matrix is a high-tech version of bio balls, but much smaller ith more surface area for nitrification.