Monday, May 24, 2010

Bettas and harlequin rasboras?

Anyone had experience keeping them together? I was thinking of putting a small shoal of 4 rasboras as well as one male betta in a 5 gallon tank. The other option is a shoal of 4 white mountain cloud minnows. Any thoughts? Is this overstocking or would I be able to fit in a larger shoal to make them more comfortable?
Answers:
I can't recall having kept rabora hets with a betta, but over the years it wouldn't surprise me if I had. I can't see that it would be a problemat all. I have tanked a Betta with White Clouds before, I recall doing that and didn't have any problem other than the betta eating eggs and fry from the White Clouds, which at the time was no problem since the White Clouds breed like rabbits anyway.
MM
I do but they need a HUGE aquarium to prevent fights for territory
I haven't, but can tell you they are very peaceful and would try it without reservations. A 5 gallon tank is pretty small for schoolers, but you can fit a group of 6 rasboras or white clouds without a problem and without overstocking, unless you count inches per gallons, which is a bogus rule anyway.
The rasboras get along fine with a betta
But I would stay away from the mountain cloud minnows, they are to big for your tank

Hope that helps
Good luck
EB