Monday, May 24, 2010

Betta fish help!?

O.K. I've had my betta for about two months. Everything has been going fine, he was eating well and making bubble nests; untill I cleaned his bowl yesterday. I did nothing different than I normally do, but he tries to eat then spits it out, andhe's lazy, and he hasn't even started to build a nest. Is he sick? If so, is there a way to make him better?
Answers:
Your betta is just going through a mini acclimating cycle. It is trying to adjust to the "minor shock" of ph, temp, change. Don't worry, if it was healthy and eating prior to the water change, chances are it will recover really fast. Don't feed it for 1 or two days, because if it doesn't eat, then you'll feel really discourage and bad for it. it's okay, it can go almost a week without food. And remember, not all bettas make bubble nest, (even the healhty bettas sometimes do not make bubbles). they're just like humans, some can get lazy you know! Relax, it'll be fine.
He just might be in shock from changing his water. Did you have clorine in your water? I know I have in my water and if you do you need to put drops in the water to bring down the levels of clorine or else the fish will die.
This is normal. It has happened a few times to me. In a few days your betta will go back to normal.
i dont think there is anything wrong with him.most of the time,when a bettas water gets changed they are lethargic for a day or two.hes just getting used to the water.good luck!!
They definitely let you know when they aren't happy with there water conditions or home. Do you have him in just a bowl or is he in a tank with a air pump and air stone? Mine did the same thing when I just had him in a bowl..When I switched him to a 2 gallon tank with a air pump and air stone he perked up and ate. One other thing is I give him Betta pellets for a few days then switch to Betta flakes for a few days. They get bored eating the same thing every day. I occasionally also give him freeze dried worms-tubifex worms or brine shrimp.
Go to bettatalk.com it has tons of information on betta fish, and it will most likely tell you what is wrong with the little guys, and how to make him feel better.
he must be sick