Saturday, May 22, 2010

Betta diet...?

what's a good diet for a betta fish?
Answers:
You can feed regualr beta pellets, and I have had a lot of good luck with giving him bloodworms which he devours.
I only feed mine once a day, and sometimes every other day. He lets me know when he is wanting to eat.
The reason I do this is to cut down on the excess waste of flake food.
none rle
only feed them 2 times a day
Betta pellets like Hikari are great. Then there are freeze dried blood worms and freeze dried brine shrimp, which shouldn't be fed all the time.
I hear some bettas are very picky. And some don't want to go back to flake/pelleted food after going live. But live is not only messy, but too rich for them to be fed all the time.
I've read it can be a good idea to fast your betta one day a week.
3 flakes a day
I would regularly feed it normal Betta pellets but for a treat feed it small pieces of bloodworm
Bettas should have a staple of high-protein pellets with varied treats like bloodworms, tubifex worms, blackworms, daphnia, brine shrimp or mosquito larvae a few times a week.
Here's a good guide to betta nutrition by RandomWiktor on the UltimateBettas forum:
http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?...
It's also recommended to fast your betta for one day in the week to let it clear out its digestive system.