Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A question about ghost shrimp??

why are they so cheap? i bought two of them at the petstore today for 89cents! and can or do they escape from the tanks?(i put them in my 10 gallon)
Answers:
They are basically like feeder goldfish, its odd how cheap they are raised, but they must be easy to breed at the 'factory.' I enjoy them as pets for my tanks sometimes. They die pretty easy... or disappear because I cannot find them. In my 44 gallon tank one has lived over a year with my 4 big angelfish! and some gouramis, they are pretty cool to have. They disappear easy because you cannot keep an eye on them and when they die... you can't find them USUALLY, unless it is a small tank. Good luck :)
Edit: Oh, and they do not usually escape from tanks. They do jump around a lot though, but they don't climb well. Your tank should have a lid anyways.
hahaha cause there are juss so many of them..and ur supposed to feed them to animals..but itd be cool to own as pets i guest..haha
I dunno, but I will tell you what can. Freakin eels. I had one and that little snakey thing jumped out that darn tank! They are kind of creepy...especially when you see it on the floor. Just saying...
I think theyre so cheap because they disappear in your tank and who can afford to replace so many of them little things. I am not quite sure if mine ever escaped or just pulled a bramuda triangle on me everytime and just poof they were gone.
boil them better de-vaine them butter mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
it depends on which region really the fish are from. If the fish reproduce on a massive population scale then they're usually super cheap (goldfish) but if they are rare regional species then the cost of them can vary in the high ranges that can burst your wallet.
I don't know of any escapee ghost shrimp but I do know that bigger fish eat them. Maybe people buy them to feed their fish as an occasional treat. Or maybe they just have the ability to breed like crazy so there's an abundance of them. Honestly I'm not to sure, but I gave it a shot.
They're so cheap because it's easy to catch thousands of them. I love them and always add a lot of them to my planted tanks. They're able to hide and last a long time in these tanks. Almost anything will eat them and even small fish manage to kill and eat them though they are a lot of fun in a planted tank. Get a piece of plexiglas or buy the really thin plastic sheet that is used to cover florescent lights and use this for the open area of your aquarium. You can buy these things at the local hardware or home depot type store.
Ghost shrimp are fun! But they don't live that long. The cheapest I ever got them was 5 for a dollar. Some people use them as food for their larger fish. If you can get brine shrimp it's really fun watching the ghost shrimp and your other fish hunt and eat them.
These shrimp are harvested by the thosands and often used as feeders for larger fish or for small fish bait.They will not try to crawl or jump out of you tank. If you net them however they can flip their tail against the net and literally jump 5 or 6 feet accross the room
they're cheap cause there are SO many of them-like goldfish. and like i said keep an eye on them because if you're not careful, they can escape-one of mine did!
That's actually expensive lol. I used to get them for .20 cents a piece. Usually they end up as food for other fish, that would be my guess why they're so cheap. They make excellent bottom cleaners though. And, as mentioned, they don't tend to live very long. I think the longest one I had was a few months. Cover your filter intake tube as well with a sponge or net, they tend to get sucked into the filter, I think that's why so many end up MIA from the tanks.
because there are so many of 'em in the pet store