Friday, July 31, 2009

Aquarium chiller?

my tank has been over 80 degrees for the whole summer, reaching 88 degrees once. all of the inhabitants are doing fine but i plan on getting coral and need a chiller. I have a trickle filter and wanted to know which would be a better option a drop in chiller or an inline. how would i go about hooking up the inline with the sump
Answers:
Just get a fan if your tank has made it this far into the summer. A 20" fan blowing directly on the surface of the water will give a nice drop in temp and save you about 250-500 bones. If you are going to drop your temp down to 60-65 then you will want a chiller. Go to wetwebmedia.com. There are many articles on chillers and can be of alot of help to a marine fish keeper.
i agree. i live in georgia, and my ac sucks. i bought a 20$ fan at walmart and mounted it and pointed it at my sump. its on a timer to go on during the day when the lights are on and my 55g stays between 79-82 all day and night...$20 vs. $3-500...works for me..