Friday, July 31, 2009

Aquarium filters?

Can anyone recommend a good aquarium external filter as the one i have at the present is about as good as an ashtray on a motorbike,
(please do not recommend the one beginning with F and finishesing with L)
Answers:
I personally like Whisper brand HOT or hang on tank power filters. I have found them to be affordable, easy to maintain and very reliable.
MM
you mean fluval,i have no problems with it.But you would be better of with a underwater filter as they don't need cleaning as much as the others do.
Well the filter I have is an Aquaclear. It is quiet effective and easy to maintain. Ive had it for about 3 months now and has worked great and it keeps the water nice and clean and the fish happy.
I have to confess the reason I purchased it was because the local pet store had a 50% sale on their aqua clear products one weekend. It has a 3 stage filter system - first a sponge - then filtered through a carbon bag and finally a 'bio bag' (which i think is just a little bag of porus rocks meant to hold 'good bacteria'. Im not sure how the pump makes the water go through the 3 layers but it seems to work great.
The sponge and bio bag are still in great shape only thing i had to do is rinse them in some aquarium once. The only part that i change is the carbon bag which I usually change once per month. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Go with an Eheim power filter they are great filters.
Ditto on the other answers. I personally prefer the Aquaclear's myself. They don't require the maintenence stated by the manufacturer actually. Rinse out the sponge every month but you don't need to be replacing it like they say, just the carbon once a month is all. Eheim is outstanding but expensive. I've not had any issues with that F filter you don't want mentioned lol. Haven't tried Whisper yet, but haven't heard anything wrong with them.
Penguin Bio-Wheels work awesome. I ditched my f----l for a bio-wheel. Now its the only filter I run, and its been working flawlessly for 4 years now.
I like AquaClears the best. The only thing you really have to replace monthly is the carbon. You can rinse out the foam in the bucket of water when you do your water changes. But if you really want a canister filter, I also like the Rena FilStar Canister ones.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_d...
~ZTM
aquaclear
i have a Rena filster expensive but low maintenance and its not noisy,its easy to clean and does a great job in both my tanks
I have a aquaclear 110 on my 45 gallon and i highly recommend it!
ive used ehiem for years with no probs prev externall as can change all material inside keeps tanks clean needs cleaning once a month