Friday, July 31, 2009

Anyone ever bought fish online?

I would like to add a few discus and exotic plecos to my tank. The local fish stores here sells very sickly looking discus for $40 minimum. An online store, somethingsfishy.com sells the same type of discus I want, plus plecos I can't find anywhere locally, for a fraction of the price. Even w the shipping charges, is still cheaper. Anyone has experience w this site? Can they be trusted?
Here is the site:
http://www.somethingsphishy.com...
Answers:
I buy off of eBay all the time, never had a single issue yet at all. Found some very wonderful sellers too. They are in communication with you for the most part. I have seen some discus sellers in there and I'm sure if you do a refined search under Discus, you'll get alot of hits on that too. Sellers on eBay are not so dangerous like many would like online buying to be. The reality of buying off of eBay is that if you have issues with a seller and they don't wish to cooperate or sell you bad fish, you can rate your buying experience and that's not something that can be covered up. I look at sellers rating and generally buy from someone that has at least 100 transactions and less then 10% reported issues. You'll find many sellers there as well that are willing to work with you on shipping rates if you buy more then one auction they have. Check them out and let me know. I haven't bought discus myself but have seen them listed there.
If you have any other questions feel free to email me anytime via my profile.
JV
nope do u want to buy a shark from me?
Idk there is always a risk in transporting fish And It WOULD BE EASIER TO BUY SOMe FROM A LOCAL SELLER

Sorry about the caps
nope. and if i were you i wouldn't.
No, because it would be just like any other pet shop. You buy the fish today and it dies tomorrow. Or depending how long they deliver it to you it would be dead by then.
try petco or petsmarts website or go on google and search for your type of fish
I've never bought anything online from that store but I've ordered fish, plants and snails online from other sources and never had any trouble. I'd say that if they have what you want at a good price, go for it!
Below are some of the places I've ordered from with good results. Some of them have discus you might want to look at. I've also gotten some great deals on AquaBid.
Well, I've never bought fish online. I've heard horror stories about it, and not always about the store itself. Moreso about the shippers. I've heard from people on my goldfish forum how the boxes come crushed and water leaking out and the fish a piece of half dried leather. But, this won't be everyone all the time. We all have to believe that things aren't always bad and have to trust. The good thing is this company does make an "Alive Arrival Guarantee." http://www.somethingsphishy.com/conditio... And while I would still feel really badly if the fish arrived mangled and dead, at least you would be assured of receiving your fish, one way or the other.
no they would die but look at that lady in the picture a few before me shes nasty.
DON'T BUY FISH FROM THE INTERNET!
I bought pond plants on-line a little while back and was surprised at how well it all went. The package arrived in 2 days and they had a guarantee to arrive alive and last five days from the day it was shipped if not you could send it back. I don't know about ordering live fish. My boyfriend tried to get me too but I didn't like the thoughts of it.
I have purchased many plants, fish, and inverts online. I've never had a problem with anything. All fish arrived alive and stayed alive, unlike many pet stores already mentioned in this thread. If you have a discus or pleco breeder near you, that would be the way to go. If you know of nobody around you with quality fish, then give the internet a try. I've always had great experiences.
No