Wednesday, July 29, 2009

About Crawdads?

I don't know it thats how to spell it but,I was wondering if i were to go down to a stream to pick up a crawdad how would i get rid of the "possibble" disease to put in my fresh whater tank?
Answers:
You should quarantine it for 2 weeks. Something to be careful about though is that Crawdads, Crayfish- eat fish in the wild so if you have an slow moving fish they might get eaten.
go to a pet stor and get water clean and put it in the watter
make sure you have a good top on your aquarium because they can escape! lol . I had a crawdad in a 10g, there was a part of the top that was open, he must have gotten out because one day I came in, and he was on the other side of the living room from the tank laying on the floor looking a little dry. I thought he was dead at first, I put him back into the tank and he didnt really move much but a week later he was back to his old self.
don't mix them with fish. they eat fish -- if they are too small to eat the fish they will still latch on and go for a ride. if you are putting him with other things you can quarrantine him for 2 wks.