Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are there any pink mollies?

I am wanting to buy a light pink molly...but I don't know if they exist. Does anyone know if they exist and if they do where can I get one?
Answers:
buy red one and dye it pink
There is no such thing as a pink molly and they are too black to even attempt to dye, assuming that this wasn't about the most cruel thing that can be done to fish. Please don't choose to buy fish that have been artificially dyed as this is cruel and inhumane treatment to animals. There are other pink fish, however. There are pink bettas. Kissing gouramis are pink. Various albino fish appear pink. You can also add pink gravel and other pink accessories to your tank to enhance the feeling of pinkness.
Pink is not a naturally occurring color for mollies. I do have one of the silver mollies that I have bred that has a slight tint between yellow and pink depending upon how you look at it. She is quite lovely but is the only molly I have ever seen with any sign of pink. Unfortunately, she also appears to be sterile and I have been unable to reproduce her coloring in other mollies. I doubt if you will be able to find any shade of pink in your local pet store. It is possible if you check with you local aquarium club that someone might have a similar mutation but I have not heard of one.