Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are sword tails normally agressive towards other fish?

I bought 10 tetras last week and now 6 are dead all tailess. I have a feeling my sword tail is to blame.
Answers:
YES get rid of them , they love tail fin it's a delicacy for them . If you have angels they will chomp the angels fins right down.
Plus if you have natural plants they eat them as well , nice fish but menaces - they are from the same family as mollies so don't keep them either - well you can but not with other fish,beware of fresh water puffer fish as well .
I had a swordtail once, and he was just the opposite! My GUPPIES killed him! I only had 2 guppies and they killed him! So no, I don't think it was your swordtail that did that. Swordtails seem passive, not aggressive.
What else are you having in your tank, because swordtails are usually peaceful

W
They can be, especially as they get bigger and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the sword tail is to blame
there's a possibility that it could be the swordtail to blame but i wouldn't start pointing the finger of blame just yet.
if a swordtail and tetra's are introduced to a tank together then they're usually fine but if the swordtail has been added before the tetra's then you can have problems as the swordtail is territorial.
we have both in our tank and have never had any probs with them.
as for angelfish, well our angelfish was in the tank with the swordtails too and they also got on well together, no aggressiveness or anything.
what other fish are in the tank as it could have easily been caused by another fish.
i have 8 swordtail females, + 6 red eye swords sitting about 4 feet from me now, in a community tank with barbs...harlies...whiteskirts tetras..
There is no signs of aggression.
Normally the males tend to be slightly aggressive to eachother not other fishes.
i doubt very much that the sword tails are to blame, you do not mention any other tank inhabitants though. Generally i would look towards tiger barbs, angel fish etc as these are the more likely suspects.
If the males out-number the females this some times occurs!
I have a sword tail in my tank and he is very peaceful, shares a tank with platys, tetras and guppies.
My friends sword tail gets hassle and chased alot from his red tail shark
I don't think they will, as long as you keep it with fish of the similar size, they will get along fine.
I have had sword tails in the past and i have found some of the male sword tails can be very aggressive towards each other and other fish
I personally don't have them in my tanks anymore
Sword tails are a type of Platty, they are very mild mannered fish, perfect for a community tank with other breeds in it.