Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are ghost shrimp more a hinderance or a help? Last weekend I was at my pet store, and I asked about ghost?

shrimp. A worker said they didn't have them and that they mess a tank up more than clean it, and then directed me toward an algae eating shrimp they did have. I left without a purchase feeling that he was just trying to get me to buy what was in stock there! Can someone give me honest info on this! Thank you so much!
Answers:
Ghost shrimp do a good job at cleaning the gravel. They do eat alge, but if there is more stuff on the bottom of your tank they will eat that before they eat alge. Many people say these shrimp lasted them 3 days or 2 weeks. I kept ghost shrimp for a long time. They are real picky about the water though. That is why they die on many people. Ghost shrimp are mainly sold as live food for larger fish. I think its worth getting them. Buy a few, maybe 10, make sure you provide many hiding places. There a good snack for your fish and will help clean up your tank. These are scavengers they find any little thing that your fish didn't eat.
in my experience, both did the job of keeping the tank clean quite nicely. the only problem i had with the ghost shrimp was that it died after only two weeks. i'm pretty sure the beta i had in the tank killed him though.
Well I have both kinds of shrimp.
Ghost Shrimp will eat anything that hits the bottom and even stuff that doesn't if they are very hungry. I find them to be very helpful in keeping food from getting rotten, like bloodworm that fall into the cracks of rocks and driftwood.

Amano and other algae eating shrimp basically keep the tanks algae growth down. Not much else. Also very helpful, if your tank can't support a pleco or school of otos. Also for people who just like pet shrimp.
mine do just fine, if anything they eat the food that the other fish dont eat.