Friday, May 8, 2009

??What Kind of Fish??

I have 2 pleco's and a channel cat in my 35 gal tank what would be the biggest most aggressive fish that i could put in there withou it eating any of the other fish? and also what is the best fish to put in there that eats the waste? The snails do a good job but the channel cat keeps gettin to them and eating them
Answers:
Hmm.. at the moment, it seems your tank is pretty close to full. For a 35 gallon.. your looking at about 35" of possible "fish" you can put in there...
I'd say throw in a Jack Dempsey (or Archocentrus octofasciatus if you want the scientific name...)
They get about 10" at the most and are pretty aggressive.
It's a very colorful fish- and it would do perfect with what you already have in your tank...
*to the dude below*
I just did alot of the research for him...
I checked and double checked- 4 sites stated the Jack dempsy would get no larger than 7-8" and another 2 stated it would reach it's max at about 10"

(and My parents used to have one in their aquarium.. It died just recently = / )

and you obviously dont put an Oscar or arrowana in a 35 gallon tank... those are minimum 75+ fish.

as for the knife fish story-the same thing happened to me- The store manager assured me that the pachu wouldn't get bigger than 5"... but the damn thing sits behind me right now.. and its getting pretty damn close to 20"...

Yeah the dude below me is right though- a good rule is to go to a fish store to buy a fish- not to browse for one.
Well let me just forewarn you before you go off buying a clown knife, arowana, or bichir.
MOST aggressive fish get HUGE.
When someone recommends you a fish Google search it and if one site says it gets around 10" don't buy it for a 35gal because most likely it will get bigger than 10" and be around 15"+
The guy at the store told me that the clown knife he was selling me grows around 15" so i kept him in a 75g until he kept growing and kept growing now i have him/her in a 200g and its 28" and its outgrowing that!
Don't trust sellers or people on here either always do research.
Edit- yes its a coincidence the guy above me said to buy a fish that grows 10" i was typing this as he was also. :/
Well the sucker fish would be good as a cleaner because they are fast moving.
If you want something that is really vool go for the elecric yellow. They aren't that big but look really cool, bright yellow and are pretty aggresive.
I don't know if they are available everywhere. I ;live in australia, New south wales and i saw then in Fish Rock Aquariums in eastwood
oh, and by the way, they are warm and fresh water fish
Good Luck
Do NOT GET AN OSCAR
and the pleco's will outgrow the tank.
you need to upgrade size before you add anything else.
craigslist it.
Your tank was maxed out the second the channel cat touched your tank. I have seen them with 8" wide heads and 30" long. Get a 200 gallon or return the cat. Don't put any large fish in a 35 gallon.
you can't keep that channel catfish in that tank... they get HUGE so I hope you have at least a 300gallon or so waiting for it.
that's also tight for plecos which reach 18"
you should probably work on that before you get anymore fish.
Well it depends on how you keep your fish, for how aggressive they are. Many websites and forums say that Jewels are aggressive, but I have 2 in a 216L tank that are just fine, and are better than the "less aggressive species" I have owned. I suppose it depends on the size of their territory. I also have an Oscar in this tank, who is great and can feed it live fish and cockroaches etc. I find bristlenose catfish, and kuhli loaches great for cleaning (mind you, you'll never see the kuhli loach as they are nocturnal and like to hide under rocks). If you want a fairly small aggressive fish, I'd suggest an Auratus or Zebra cichlid. Honestly they are psychos! I had two of the Zebras in a huge tank and one wouldn't rest til the other was killed. I took it back to the pet shop, as I didn't want a fiesty fish. The electric yellows aren't that aggressive, but again it depends on their territory and the size of the school. If you do get a bigger tank, get a Red Devil, as they are really aggressive and will attack your hands (and draw blood) if you want something psyco. Personally I LOVE oscars, they have awesome personalities and will sulk when their tank is changed and love rearranging their tank.
try TANK CLEANER ... it cleans up your tank and u won't find any algea deposits... it will not be attacked by any other fishes...
hope this helps...
Little cory cat fish and chinese algie eaters would do agood job with the waste but would probably get jacked up by your cat and whatever most aggresive fish you put in.
African chiclids might be good. I've never put them with a channel cat but they do well with plecos. I suggest buying chiclids of about the same size as each other so they dont kill each other. They are territorial and like to have hiding spots.
I can't remember what they are called but I had some kinda long skinny fish that were yellow with black stripes that were pretty aggresive and equally interesting. You could probably see the ones I'm talking about at most pet stores their pretty comon